Thursday, August 18, 2011

Who is That?

McRob. McBob. These are the nicknames that I have given to one of my favorite basketball players. Josh McRoberts. He is a stud and a half. One thing that I love about him is that not too many people know about him or follow him. But does this mean that he isn't talented or doesn't have promise? Of course not! Now, I will tell you a little bit more about him.

Ferocious.
He played high school ball in Indiana and then went on to start at power forward for Duke University for two seasons. He declared himself eligible for the 2007 NBA Draft and fell to the Portland Trail Blazers with the 37th pick. He was up and down during the first years of his NBA career as he fought for playing time. He was traded back to his home state to play for the Indiana Pacers in 2008. Since the trade he seems to have found his niche on the Pacers. He still struggles with consistency but he has flashes of brilliance. Here's some evidence of his "awesomeness".




Now that you have seen a little bit of his talent and excitement...do you want to learn more about him? Go to or watch one of his games? "Like" him (like I have!) on facebook? See what I mean? Just because something (in this case - a basketball player) isn't well-known does not mean that it isn't valuable.

I will now tell you a story that explains how this same principle applies to something much more serious and much more valuable. The story is told in its fullness in the movie, "The Book of Mormon: How Rare a Possession!" and is also summarized in the book, "Our Search For Happiness". I will quote from the latter:

"Vincenzo di Francesca, an Italian minister of religion, was walking down a New York City street toward his church when he saw a book without a cover in a barrel full of ashes. He picked up the book, turned the pages, and saw for the first time the names of Nephi, Mosiah, Alma, and Moroni. He felt impressed to read the book even though he did not know its name or origin, and to pray about its truthfulness. As he did, he said that 'a feeling of gladness, as of finding something precious and extraordinary, bore consolation to my soul and left me with a joy that human language cannot find words to describe.' He began teaching the principles in the book to the members of his church. His church leaders disciplined him for doing so and even directed him to burn the book, something he refused to do.

"He later returned to Italy, where in 1930 he learned that the book was published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He wrote a letter to the Church in Utah that was forwarded to President [Heber J.] Grant. President Grant sent him a copy of the Book of Mormon in Italian and gave his name to the president of the European mission. The diffuculties of wartime prevented Vincenzo from being baptized for many years, but he was finally able to become a member of the Church on 18 January 1951, the first person baptized on the island of Sicily. Five years later he was endowed in the Swiss Temple."

Francesca did not know what the book was but he felt prompted to read it. When he did his eyes and heart was opened to the truthfulness of the book and to the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He saw the light that comes from its truth-filled pages.

There are many people who do not want to read the Book of Mormon for a variety of reasons. Some believe it is unneccesary. Some believe that it "replaces" the Bible. Some believe that the Bible contains all of God's word. All of these are false perceptions. The Lord Jesus said, "Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible...Know ye not that there are more nations that one?...murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together" (2 Nephi 29:6-8).

The Lord loves all of His children. Therefore, He speaks to more than one nation. That's what the Book of Mormon is! A record of God's children and their relations with Him. When speaking about the Book of Mormon, President Gordon B. Hinckley said (in an article entitled "The Power of the Book of Mormon"), "It is a record of ancient America. It is the scripture of the New World, as certainly as the Bible is the scripture of the Old. Each speaks of the other. Each carries with it the spirit of inspiration, the power to convince and to convert. Together they become two witnesses, hand in hand, that Jesus is the Christ, the resurrected and living Son of the living God."

I know that the Book of Mormon is true because I have read it and I have tested it. I have prayed to God to know if it is true and I was filled with warming assurance. I feel the love of God each time that I read its pages and it brings me nearer to Him. Because of the Book of Mormon I have a stronger relationship with my friends, family, and the Lord.

I love the Book of Mormon. I know that it is true because I have read and prayed about it. It has brought me great happiness and I know that it will do the same to you. I invite everyone to read the Book of Mormon. Give it a chance. Just like I gave Josh McRoberts a chance and was not disappointed (he is so fun to watch!) if you read the Book of Mormon you will be enlightened and you will definitely not be disappointed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Elder Lee.. Thank you for your strong testimony of the Book of Mormon.. I too will leave mine, I know the Book of Mormon is the Truth and it tells of the my grandfathers and grandmothers on this the American Continents..North and South. We did live here before Christ was born..it tells about it in the Book of Mormon. It tells about why were broke up into different tribes. It tells about when we came to the Americas from Jerusalem. I am so thankful for this knowledge.. When I was around 16 years old Elder Lee, I saw a Momma crying in the city of Jerusalem and she was crying just like my Great Grandma...and I said to my Grandpa ...look at that lady she looks and sound just like my Great Grandma.. She was wailing and crying because her son died. Everything started fitting together. All the temples in South America look like the ancient ones in Egypt..where our forefathers were slaves of the Egyptian people.. Then when we came here to the Americas, we built temples still.. Now the only temples we have are the LDS ones... I love them... Our people have always believed in them..but they have gotten away from that knowledge.. The Book of Mormon brings that true knowledge back to us..and affirms in our hearts and spirits that we are royal descendants of a beautiful people and a beautiful time ... Our Grandparents Grandparents and their Grandparents Grandparents actually walked with Christ when he came to the Americas after he was crucified and ascended to Father in Heaven.. He came here !! He walked among our people for three moons.. We brought our children to him and he blessed them, each one by one...Over 2500 were there that day when he came out of the clouds !! I know this to be true !! How wonderful to know this...to know that he loved us...as well as the people in Jerusalem area.. I love Him....I love the Book of Mormon..and through this TRUE book of our people we are made whole...once again... With all my heart I testify of the truthfulness of this the Everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ... In his precious name, even Jesus Christ our Lord, AMEN
Sister Patricia Iron Cloud from the Poplar, Montana Branch..where Elder Lee served.. Love him, he's my son...and I'll never forget him..

Alicia said...

Oh, Matt. The comment above is beautiful. It makes me so happy to see that people love and know you so well. You must be doing great work.

Elder Matt Lee said...

Thank you so much for your amazing testimony Sister Iron Cloud. You are one of the greatest people that I will ever meet. Your testimony is pure and beautiful and I will never forget your profound impact on my life and your unshakeable faith in family and in the Savior. Thank you so much for your words and for your life. The Book of Mormon is the Word of God. EVERYONE needs to read it. It is a "springboard to testimony". I love it. I love my Savior. He walked the earth (Old AND New World) and He lives today. I know this because of my testimony of the Book of Mormon. "It's true isn't it? Then what else matters?"

Patt said...

ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY SUCH A PRICE FOR THE GOSPEL? FOR OUR SAVIOR?

I know that all these young missionaries come out to serve our people here on the Reservation for 2 years... They give up their friends, their sweethearts, their education, their military service, their homes,THE SAFE ARMS OF THEIR PARENTS, for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.. I have them in my home all the time and I love their spirit that they bring to my home. I feel blessed to be able to feed them and learn from them about how much Heavenly Father loves me and how his son Jesus Christ loves me...he Loves me so much that he died for me on the cross..and in the garden of Gethsemane he took upon himself my sins, he bled from every pore to prove to Father how much he loves me. I am most thankful this day for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the the Book of Mormon and the truth therein.. Just open it..and you too will know of it's truth. I did, and I love it so much.

Thank you Elder Lee for your kind words on my behalf.. You also have impacted my life for good..and I will never forget how you love our people here on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation in Poplar, Montana..and served them with all your heart, might, mind and soul.. That's how Jesus is and you walk with him always.. I can feel it.. I bare this testimony in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior...AMEN.. Sister Patricia Iron Cloud, from Poplar Montana Branch..