Thursday, July 7, 2011

Be Yourself

We all are different. We have our own physical, emotional, and spiritual characteristics. There are those out there that we relate to or clash with. But that is okay!

We all have our own way of doing things. We are individuals! God made us that way! Therefore...we simply need to be ourselves. There is a funny movie out there called, "Just Friends" that is all about a guy named Chris Brander (played by Ryan Reynolds) and how he struggles with being who he really is. His mother (shown in the video) teaches him to be himself.


Hmmm...seems like she might be onto something there! My lovely parents have always told me to be myself. As I reflect on my experiences I am reminded of the times that I have been myself and times that I have tried to be someone else. I am happy when I am myself. I am frustrated, upset, and confused when I try to be someone that I am not.

One of my favorite TV shows is called, "Arrested Development". In the show, some of the family members (Gob, Lucille, Lindsay, and George Sr.) have their own chicken dance. It is hilarious.

"How To" chicken dance like the Bluths

(L to R) Lindsay, George Sr. and Lucille dancing to their own chicken dance.

We do not necessarily have to "chicken dance" in our own way but we should be ourselves like the Bluths! In my own experiences, being myself has helped me SO much. In high school, college, and even the beginning of my mission I was so nervous when I met new people. Way nervous! I was so focused on leaving a good impression and not being weird or overbearing that I became far too reserved. I made myself awkward, shy, and depressed because of it. Since coming out on my mission I have learned the true importance being me.

I firmly believe that God has a guiding hand in my life and yours. He places me (and you) where we need to be, when we need to be there, and who we need to be there with. If this is true - which it is - then God is expecting and counting on us to be ourselves. He wants us there because He has prepared us to be there! He doesn't want us in a specific situation to change our personalities, likes, dislikes, characteristics, etc. Follow the counsel of Chris Brander's mom and "Be yourself!"

That being said, we need to be our best selves. What does that mean? A living prophet, Thomas S. Monson, has helped us understand this in a talk that he gave in 1999 called "Becoming Our Best Selves". Within this talk he says, "In the search for our best selves, several questions will guide our thinking: Am I what I want to be? Am I closer to the Savior today than I was yesterday? Will I be closer yet tomorrow? Do I have the courage to change for the better?". In our journey to our best selves we must show our personality while coming closer to Christ.

President Thomas S. Monson. What a cool guy.
I know that as we do this we will be happy. Trust me. I've experienced it. As I look back on the times that I have been sad, lonely, and confused...it has been because of two things. First, I'm trying to be someone that I'm not (or I'm hiding who I truly am!). Second, I'm not coming closer to my Savior. Those two things go hand in hand. As I am myself and I follow the Lord's commandments I am happy. "And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual..." (Mosiah 2:41). I know in my heart that this is true. I feel it. I challenge you to feel it as well. Be yourself! Do your own chicken dance! You will be happy and so will the Lord. Smiles all around.