Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pops

So, I have decided to write a blog about my Pops...
Pops cereal.
No...not this kind of Pops.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu of the NBA
No...not Pops Mensah-Bonsu either.

THIS guy:

My Dad, Dave Lee.
There he is. This is my Pops. My daddy. My example. My friend. He is sweet like Pops cereal (Big Bear loves the honey) and he is ALMOST as good as Pops Mensah-Bonsu in basketball - just shy of the prime age of 59 I might add!

Fathers Day is a very important day of the year. It is also one that gets overlooked FAR too often. I love my dad so much and he has helped me in every facet of my life by simple example. He is a stud. I honor and respect him. The Bible teaches that we must "Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long in upon the land which the Lord thy god giveth thee" (Exodus 20:12). I know that as I have honored my father I have been given strength and I have been aided beyond my capacity to understand.

As I think back on my youth I am able to remember the lessons that I learned. I did not learn these lessons through someone yelling at me, hitting me, or even TELLING me what to do. I learned these lessons through someone SHOWING me what to do. ‎Clarence Budington Kelland said, "My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." My father is  my example. He is my guiding light. It is through reminiscing that I have been able to understand the full magnitude of his influence in my life. Here is an example...when I was attending seminary (a scripture study class before school) the teacher (who happened to be my mother) asked the class this question: Who in your lives is a great example of humility? I sat and pondered that thought for about fifteen seconds and my own father's face came to my mind. I had not previously categorized him as a humble person but when I took the time to think about it, it became obvious to me. My father is extremely hard working, he does a lot of good at work, home, and within his church callings, but he doesn't brag about any of it (except for maybe his ability to shoot his handguns particularly well). He goes about his work because it is his duty. He has an obligation to work hard and he does so with perfect balance. Never have I felt that my father neglected me. Through his humility he SHOWED me how to work hard, to be a great family man, and to be a true disciple of Christ - all at the same time. I am forever indebted to my father for that.

One thing that my father has SHOWN me is the importance of being a good husband. My father loves my mother. I have seen that from the tender years of my youth and it is something that I will never forget. He treats her with respect, honor, compassion, and kindness. He treats her like a queen. "Nevertheless neither is that man without the woman, neither the woman without theman, in the Lord" (1 Corinthians 11:11). "Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else" (Doctrine and Covenants 42:22). I have never seen a better living example of one who emulates these two scriptures than my own father. I have learned to be a good husband because of his example.

Some of you who know my father know that he has a love of the TV show, 24. Some might even say that he IS Jack Bauer.

"We're running out of time!" -  Jack Bauer
Now... 24 is a great show and Jack Bauer is a good model for courage, bravery, and awesomeness...but Jack Bauer is not who my father strives to be more like. My father looks to our perfect example. Our Heavenly Father. My earthly father is my guide through my times of struggle. He helps me in all that he is able. He is there for me when I succeed. He is there for me when I fall. As I struggled at home, my father listened to and helped me whether that was on the phone or while playing pool. As I struggle on my mission when I am "about my Father's business" (Luke 2:49) my father writes me letters much like Mormon did to his son, Moroni, at the end of the Book of Mormon to buoy me up and strengthen me. He loves me as our Heavenly Father loves all of His children.

I would like to challenge every single one of you out there to ponder about your father and what good things he has shown you by example. Then...thank him for all that he has done. He will love it! So dad...thank you. I love you so much and you have no idea what kind of effect you have had on your children and everyone else around you. I love you. You are my guide throughout my youth (Jeremiah 3:4).You are my Pops!

Some of us may not be able to personally thank our earthly fathers for what they have done. But we can ALWAYS thank our Heavenly Father through prayer. Heavenly Father will always be there for us. When we turn to him we are strengthened more than we can imagine. Blessings await the thankful.

Thank you, Daddy. Happy Fathers Day!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

I don't think I've thought much about examples of humility in my life, either, and Dad truly is an amazing one, isn't he? Thanks, Matt! I love how you talked about him going about his daily duties simply because they are that. He takes them seriously, does each of them to the best of his ability, and loves his family and his Church along the way.

When you think about it, that is ALL that Heavenly Father wants of us! He wants us to be our best selves, love and serve one another (within our families, friendships, and in the Gospel), and enjoy this life.

I really believe that if we HONESTLY look at our lives in these seemingly simple terms, everything can be just a little bit less complicated and more enjoyable. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes the "Primary" answers are what it all comes down to. :-)

I love you, Matty, and you will DEFINITELY be a wonderful husband and father!

(ps. Dad won't be 59 until NOVEMBER...!!! hahaha!)

Elder Matt Lee said...

Thanks for YOUR insight! Also...I made the necessary edit for dad's age. Whoops! Sorry dad!

Alicia said...

I love you, Matty. You've inspired me yet again.