Friday, April 1, 2011

Be Thou An Example

One of my favorite scriptures is found in the New Testament in Paul's first epistle to Timothy. It reads, "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in fath, in purity" (1 Timothy 3: 12). There are many things that stick out to me from this simple verse but the overwhelming principle taught within is that we must be great examples to others.

Fathers must be great examples to their sons.
Before we can be a great example we must humble ourselves and remember our youth. This is the FIRST thing that we must do. Children are perfect and pure. They do no wrong. "Becometh as a child, submissive, meek humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father" (Mosiah 3: 19). Whenever I read scriptures I think about my nieces and nephews and how perfect they are. I love them so much and I see innocence in their eyes and purity in their actions. It is pretty crazy to think that we all were that innocent and pure once. But I know that if we humble ourselves and apply the same innocence and light that we had in our youth then we will be so much better off! We will come closer to our brother Jesus Christ and we will be able to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ again. Our Savior and Redeemer taught, "Whosever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18: 4). Children are fantastic examples. To look up to them is to look up to Heaven.

My nieces and nephews L to R: Kaiya, Ben, Isabel, Scarlett, Jake, and Sarah. Perfect!
As I reflect back...I realize how big of an effect certain people have had in my life. In good and bad ways. Some of these people know the effect that they have made on me but many of them probably do not have a clue. This also means that, unbeknownst to me, I have been an example to other people. I hope that I have left a positive impact on others but I know that I have made mistakes in my life as well. BUT it truly is up to us what kind of legacy we want to leave behind.

I draw much strength from the people in my life. My dad is extremely humble and hardworking. My mother is loving and compassionate. My brothers and sisters are simply hysterical while being wise at the same time. My closest friends (you know who you are!) are loyal and dedicated. Certain church leaders throughout my life are knowledgeable and are full of charity. My mission companions have been diligent and obedient. It is my hope that I can have a portion of the good qualities that these great people have. I thank them for their great examples.

Awesome brothers and sisters! L to R: Michelle, Alicia, Brett, me, Scott, Laurel

Now, there is only One person that we can ALWAYS turn to. He is always there for us and He is Our Perfect Example that we lean on and learn from. I am talking about our brother Jesus Christ. Christ's ultimate example was His Father. "The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise" (John 5: 19). The qualities and attributes that Christ showed in His life make up the exact template that we should strive to emulate. Of course we will fall short of Jesus Christ's perfect example but He will carry, lift, inspire, direct, and help us every step of the way. We must look to Him in every aspect of our lives. Remember Paul's words to Timothy: "Be thou an example...in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." Jesus Christ is the One who inspired Paul to write these words. Let Jesus Christ inspire us to be kind to one another. Let Him direct us to help those in need. Let Him lift us in our times of struggle. Let Him be our ultimate example.


I know that as we look to Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, we will in turn be good examples to those around us. Thus, we all will come closer to Heaven.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Matt... I LOVE this and I LOVE you so much. Your spirit really comes through in your writing. Thanks for your great example.